Thursday 17 May 2012

Sound advice and bonus purple prose


Monday’s workshop with supernatural romance and urban fantasy author Keri Arthur was rather interesting and informative, and she’s a New York Times bestseller so she knows what she’s talking about. 

“First off, write the best damn book you can, put it in the drawer for at least a month, edit it, then if you want to go mainstream get an agent,” she advises.  And preferably an American agent, especially if you want to get published in the U.S.  Well, I think I’ve ticked the first two boxes, and am in the process of doing the third.  Also, I think I may have improved my chances given the American setting of my first novel Breaking Point and the one I’m currently working on.  We were also advised to check out such websites as The Publisher’s Marketplace, Predators and Editors and hipiers.com.  Keri also recommended having a Facebook page and a webpage or fanpage; hmmmm... now to regularly update...  and to write about writing and other stuff besides current projects, give a picture of oneself as an all-round person (and here I was thinking that was what my general purpose blog was for)...  I'm getting there *touch wood*.

Keri cited three major reasons why books get rejected:

1. Lack of a strong opening, or not opening with a hook;

2. Overloading the beginning with background or back story;

3. Rushing to submit a story before it's ready.  "No first draft is perfect.  Good writing is rewriting but don't edit it to death."

As a challenge we were given two pictures to write about, as an opening hook for a hypothetical tale.  We could have chosen either picture but I chose both.  One featured a woman with frightened eyes and the lower half of her face covered by her hands and turtleneck; the other a rather scary-looking fellow with a six-pack contrasted by a painted or tattooed face and hollow black eyes:

“Bewilderment and confusion etched themselves upon every fibre of her being; bewilderment and confusion born of the simultaneous repulsion and animal lust she felt as she gazed upon him, that rippling torso contrasted sharply and jarringly with that hideously painted face and that penetrating stare.  Maybe it wasn’t repulsion she felt, but fear – fear of him, or fear of her own carnal desire as her eyes fell upon him?”

I realise the prose was rather purple, and maybe it did sound a little hammy when read aloud, and I could tell it was nothing special, but we can't win them all, it was just an exercise and with practice and polish these things do improve.  If I ever do develop it it would have to be a comedy – it’s too over-the-top to present as a straight narrative.  Alternatively I could drop the first sentence and simply open with the second…?

Oh well, I wrote a killer hook for Breaking Point; I’ll have to work on one for the novel I’m currently working on though, but that's a given - it is a work in progress after all…

She also said not to diversify at least until established in the literary world.  My short stories have been a mixed bag so far, though they have included ones in a crime/thriller/noir vein, which is the category my bigger projects so far fit into.

And now I direct you to Keri Arthur's fanpage: http://www.keriarthur.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment